31 year old Italian Chef Angelo Faliva is missing aboard the Princess Cruises “Coral Princess” sailing from Aruba to Cartagena, Colombia. Faliva was last seen on a deck of the Coral Princess at about 8:30 AM Thursday. The FBI is investigating the disappearance. Angelo Faliva is believed to have gone overbaord.
Colombian maritime authorities searched Sunday for an Italian chef believed to have gone overboard from a U.S. cruise ship off Colombia’s Caribbean coast, officials and the man’s family said.
There were different accounts about when and where Angelo Faliva, 31, was last seen as the Princess Cruises “Coral Princess” sailed from Aruba to Cartagena, Colombia, between Nov. 24 and 25.
Princess Cruises spokeswoman Julie Benson said Faliva was last seen on a deck at about 8:30 a.m. Thursday, when he spoke with another crew member as the ship neared Cartagena.
His family, however, said they had been told that he had unexpectedly walked out of the ship’s galley at about 8:15 p.m. the night before, while he was working the dinner shift, and never returned and hadn’t been seen since.
The family suspects that there was an accident or homicide. Princess Cruises spokeswoman Julie Benson said that Faliva’s cabin had been sealed, the ship has been searched and its CCTV footage reviewed. However, no cameras captured video of a crew member going overboard.
The Faliva family said it was alerted Thursday that he had been reported missing and that a life preserver was also missing, with its nighttime illumination flares torn off and left aboard the ship.
“He surely didn’t jump off. It wasn’t suicide,” his sister Chiara Faliva told The Associated Press from the family’s home in Cremona. “We think there was an accident or a homicide.”
Italian chef missing at sea on Caribbean cruise
The commander of the Colombian Coast Guard station in Cartagena, Lt. Javier Sanchez, said officials there received a report from the “Coral Princess” at 10 a.m. Thursday that one of the cooks had last been seen the night of Nov. 25 between 7-8 p.m. when the ship was navigating Colombian waters near La Guajira.
But like the Princess spokeswoman, he too said the Coast Guard received word from the ship later Thursday that a person had seen the chef at about 6 a.m. Thursday morning.
The ship docked in Cartagena at 10 a.m. Thursday. By 3 p.m., the Coast Guard began searching for the chef, using a helicopter and two boats.
The search continues, using boats. “The case is not closed,” Sanchez said.
An Italian Foreign Ministry official, speaking on customary condition of anonymity, said Italian embassy officials in Bogota were working with Colombian maritime authorities conducting the search and that the FBI was expected to investigate as well since the ship is part of the U.S.-based Carnival Corp. cruise empire.
The family is hoping Venezuelan maritime authorities also will take part in the search since the ship passed through Venezuelan waters during the time Faliva is believed to have gone overboard.
Another person reported overboard a cruise ship.
A 39 year old man has fallen overboard the cruise ship Norwegian Sky at approximately 3 am, Saturday April 18, 2009. The man was a passenger on the Norwegian Sky sailing from Miami, when he went overboard about 60 miles north of Nassau, Bahamas. The Norwegian Sky departed Miami for a three day cruise and was traveling to its first port of call in Nassau when the incident occurred.
Several crews, from the Royal Bahamas Defense Force, the Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas cruise ship, Norwegian Pearl cruise ship and Disney cruise line small-boat crews, are assisting the Coast Guard with the search.
Norwegian Sky crew members contacted the Coast Guard for assistance from the Seventh Coast Guard District based out of Miami.
Thus far the same of the passenger is being withheld pending the notification of the nest of kin.
UPDATE I: Coast Guard Suspends Search for Missing 39 Year Old Man
The Coast Guard says in a release that it suspended its search around 8 p.m. Saturday after searching 590 square miles.
An elderly couple has gone missing aboard the Carnival Paradise that set sail from Long Beach, CA. A 90 year old man and his 79 year old wife were last seen Tuesday, January 13, 2009 aboard the Carnival Paradise. They are presumed to have gone overboard. The couple’s names and hometowns have not been released. Their cabin door was double locked from the inside with a “do not disturb” sign hanging on the door handle. It is also being reported that the door to the balcony from their room was unlocked.
A statement released overnight by Carnival says the 90-year-old man and his 79-year-old wife were aboard the Carnival Paradise when it set sail from Long Beach, Calif., on Monday but could not be found when the ship returned Friday.
“Their cabin door was double locked from the inside with a do not disturb sign on the handle and the door leading from the cabin to the balcony was unlocked,” the statement says. “The couple’s personal belongings remained inside the cabin.”
Carnival says all proper authorities have been notified, including the U.S. Coast Guard and FBI, and the cruise line is providing full assistance.
The Coast Guard has suspended the search for the elderly couple who are believed to have fallen overboard.
The Coast Guard suspended its search Saturday for an elderly couple believed to have fallen off a cruise ship between Long Beach and northern Mexico.
The aerial search for the 90-year-old man and his 79-year-old wife was halted after officials determined that their chances of surviving in the water were slim, said Chief Warrant Officer Scott Epperson.
“Factoring in their age and weights, their survivability in 59 degrees water was about 4 to 6 hours,” he said. “The last time they were seen was 84 hours ago.”
A typhoon in the Philippines has capsized a ferry where 700 people are missing and feared dead. To date, 28 survivors have been rescued; however, hundreds are still missing. The Princess of the Stars ferry left Manila on Friday en route to Cebu when contact was lost.
820 missing as ferry capsizes in typhoon
- Ferry leaves Manila on Friday
- 626 passengers and 121 crew on board
- Engines failed Saturday afternoon
- Radio contact lost soon afterwards
- Rescuers reach ship on Sunday afternoon
The ferry was en route to Cebu from Manila when it capsized on Saturday
Coast guard chief Vice Adm. Wilfredo Tamayo said 28 survivors of the ferry disaster had been found. Manila’s DZBB radio said the survivors, including four crewmen and three women, drifted at sea for more than 24 hours wearing their life jackets, reaching Mulanay township in eastern Quezon province late Sunday.
Coast guard frogmen who managed to get to the stricken ship got no response when they rapped on the hull with metal instruments, then had to give up late Sunday due to the strong waves. The ship carried more than 740 passengers and crew.
Update I: 800 missing as typhoon Philippines ferry … 32 survivors recovered.
The recovery brought to 32 the number of survivors recovered from the sinking of the Princess of the Stars Saturday off the coast of Sibuyan Island in the central Philippines.
On Sunday, four survivors were found in San Fernando town on Sibuyuan island.
The 24,000-tonne ferry sank after running aground due to huge waves and strong winds spawned by Typhoon Fengshen, which left at least 152 people dead.
Scores drowned and missing as typhoon lashes Philippines
UPDATE II: Divers retrieve bodies from Philippine ferry
While the divers have only found bodies so far, officials were not willing to give up hope of finding more survivors among the more than 800 people missing since the seven-story ferry listed and went down in a half-hour or less Saturday.
“There is a slim chance that we can still find survivors” insided the ferry, coast guard Lt. Cmdr Rogelio Villanueva said. “As the days pass, indeed the chance is getting slimmer.”
46 year old Mindy Jordan is missing while on a cruise from NYC to Bermuda aboard the Norwegian Dawn. Mindy Jordan reportedly went overboard at about 7:50 pm Sunday. According to Norwegian Cruise Lines Mindy Jordan was apparently trying to climb between balconies on the cruise ship.
The Coast Guard says the ship was approximately 45 miles northeast of Atlantic City when the woman was reported overboard Sunday night. It departed from the company’s Manhattan Cruise Terminal at 4 p.m.
The Coast Guard launched two helicopter crews, which searched for two hours before returning to base due to the weather.
The vessel proceeded on its scheduled itinerary, and is set to arrive in Bermuda on Wednesday.
The Cruise line issued the following statement:
the cruise line said the ship immediately began a search and rescue operation, but did not provide further details. On Monday, the Coast Guard said continuing winds over 50 mph and heavy rain prevented it from resuming the search.
To futher discuss the case go to Scared Monkeys.net Forum, Missing: Mindy Jordan.
UPDATE I: Clowning Around or something far worse? Parents of missing Mindy Jordan state their daughter was in an abusive relationship.
Relatives of the missing 46 year old nurse Mindy Jordan are calling for an investigation into what happened as they think something is wrong with the story and does not add up. Smell test #1: What person has their spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend go overboard and continues on the cruise to its destination as opposed to staying with the search for their missing loved one?
UPDATE II: FBI: Woman’s plunge from cruise ship not a crime
A 24 year old man was reported missing aboard a Royal Caribbean cruise ship, Freedom of the Seas, on Monday. The cruise ship was sailing from Miami to San Juan, PR before it reversed direction to look for the missing passenger.
A Royal Caribbean cruise ship turned around Monday to help authorities search for a passenger who was reported missing.
Royal Caribbean says the 24-year-old unidentified man was last seen on a balcony in his room aboard the Freedom of the Seas early Monday morning.
He was reported missing several hours later.
Cruise Ship Passenger Missing
The 24-year-old unidentified man was last seen on a balcony in his room aboard the Freedom of the Seas about 1:45 a.m. Monday, according to the Royal Caribbean statement. He was reported missing at about 8:30 a.m.
The man may have been intoxicated, said U.S. Coast Guard spokesman Dana Warr. Is there a reason why that cruise ships cannot be held to the same standards as local bars? Why is it that passengers are allowed to get so intoxicated on cruise ships and we consistently hear stories of people going overboard. At some point some responsibility does fall on the cruise line.
UPDATE I: FBI probing missing cruise ship passenger
Brent Smith, 24, was last seen around 1:45 a.m. Monday on his stateroom balcony aboard the Freedom of the Seas, owned by Royal Caribbean International. Relatives reported him missing around 8:30 a.m., according to a cruise ship statement.
The ship turned around at that point to search for Smith, who was traveling with his brother, Matthew Smith, and his brother’s girlfriend, said FBI spokesman Harry Rodriguez. Coast Guard crews launched a search as well. (MSNBC)
UPDATE II: Coast Guard Suspends Search for Missing N.C. Man
The U.S. Coast Guard said it has suspended its search for a North Carolina man who went missing from a cruise ship.
Brent Smith, 24, was last seen at around 1:45 a.m. Monday on the Royal Caribbean Cruise Line vessel Freedom of the Seas. He was on the cruise with members of his family.
Coast Guard officials said a pair of sandals belonging to Smith were found on the deck of the cruise ship, but there was no sign of him.
UPDATE III: Service Set for Man Missing From Cruise Ship
There is no body and no real answers, but a Wayne County family will hold a memorial service Tuesday for a man who is missing from a cruise ship and is feared dead.
In a phone interview Monday, the FBI, which doesn’t investigate missing persons cases, said its agents were still poring over evidence just to make sure there had been no foul play.
“The FBI evidence response team processed the cabin that was secured once the victim was discovered missing aboard the ship,” Agent Henry Rodriguez said. The FBI also said agents had looked at copies of videotape taken from security cameras aboard the ship
Another incident has happened aboard a cruise ship. This time there is a reported rape of a teenager aboard the P&O cruise ship, Pacific Star.
A teenage girl has told police she was raped aboard the P&O cruise ship, Pacific Star after a party on board the ship on Wednesday night. The company says it is fully cooperating with an investigation, but the family of another victim is demanding action to stop it happening again. It has been 4 years since Dianne Brimble’s body was found, lying on a cabin floor of the Pacific Sky and since then, her ex-husband Mark has been fighting for justice and to make cruise ships safe.
These types of incidents just seem to continue over and over. Yes, cruise ships are like floating cities; however, one does not expect to pay for a vacation and be surrounded by a criminal element that would harm, rape or rob them.
Now, a teenage girl has claimed she was raped by an older man, while two of his mates watched after a night of partying and drinking. The young victim tried to jump overboard after the alleged attack. Mr Brimble said: “Incidents like this can and will continue to happen on cruise liners as they continue to sail around the world.” (Yahoo News)
A TEENAGE girl has alleged she was raped onboard a P&O cruise ship, sparking a major police investigation
Six detectives boarded the Pacific Star as it cruised along the Queensland coast on Friday after the girl, 16, claimed she was assaulted in a cabin in front of two other men. Plainclothes officers took a New South Wales man, 23, off the ship in handcuffs when it docked in Brisbane yesterday and charged him with possession of a dangerous drug, believed to be ecstasy. Police would not comment on whether the man was linked to the sex assault allegations. “Police can confirm they have investigated allegations of a sexual assault of a teenage girl on board a P&O Cruise vessel,” a spokesman said. (Adelaide Now)
UPDATE: Cruise rape claim: Queensland police won’t lay charges
Police will lay no charges over an alleged rape of a teenager on P&O’s Pacific Star. “The matter has been thoroughly investigated by detectives and there is no evidence to substantiate any charges being laid in relation to the sexual assault allegation,” a spokesman for Queensland police said. “If further information came up it would be investigated.” (The West Australian)
Last June everyone wondered why Jennifer Hagel Smith settled with Royal Caribbean. I guess there were over 1 million reasons why Jennifer Hagel Smith settled the law suit with Royal Caribbean following the disappearance of her fiancee, George Allen Smith IV.
Royal Caribbean Cruises has agreed to pay more than $1 million to the estate of a Connecticut man who vanished from his honeymoon cruise of the Mediterranean in 2005.
The Florida-based company will pay $950,000 to the estate of George Allen Smith IV and reimburse his widow, Jennifer Hagel Smith, for legal costs up to $110,000. Hagel Smith will start a fund in memory of her husband with an initial donation of $25,000 that the cruise line will match, according to a copy of the settlement obtained by The Associated Press. (Fox News)
Dana Pretzer interview with Bree Smith on Scared Monkeys radio (Dec. 7, 2006), sister of missing George Smith. (Play podcast, go to time stamp: 66:30)
It is hard to believe that is what one’s life is worth. The rush to a settlement had raised the eyebrows of many who followed the case. What is most puzzling is the continued admissions that some how Jennifer Hagel Smith will be able to use any records that she gains from Royal Caribbean against them in the future. I am sure their is very fine and legal print that Royal Caribbean attorneys put in this settlement that states otherwise.
Hagel Smith noted that the settlement also gives her access for the first time to records kept by the cruise line, including vessel logs, security reports, door activity records, photographs, witness statements and correspondence with the FBI.
“My single goal continues to be to find answers regarding how George died,” Hagel Smith said in a statement. “Reaching a settlement in this case in no way shuts down the investigation.”
read the rest here…
Its happened again, this time aboard Cunnard’s QU2. A 62 year old woman has been reported missing and presumed to have gone overboard.
It was believed the 62-year-old went overboard on Hogmanay during the £2000-a-head cruise.
Officers boarded the luxury liner, which carries 1900 passengers and more than 1000 crew, when it returned to its home port of Southampton yesterday.
The alarm had been raised on Sunday when the woman was reported missing by her husband as the ship returned from the island of Madeira in the Atlantic. The captain of the QE2 did turn the ship around to retrace the route as well as a sea & air rescue was conducted. All to no avail.
A search was immediately launched by the crew, but no sign of the woman was found. (The Daily Record)
Mystery surrounds QE2′s missing woman
The woman, a German national, was reported missing from the 67,000-tonne Cunard liner by her husband on Sunday.
The ship was in Portuguese waters between Madeira and its home port of Southampton at the time.
New Year mystery aboard the QE2
Hampshire Police spokeswoman Lucy Dibdin said: “Our officers are working closely with staff to ascertain what has happened, and are speaking to ship’s crew, passengers and the missing woman’s husband.”
Detective Inspector Dean Gower said: “It is too early at this stage to speculate as to exactly what has happened but we do not believe there are suspicious circumstances at this time.”
Its happened again. Another person missing aboard a cruise ship. A 42 year old man has fallen of the balcony of the Carnival Conquest cruise ship. The ship was returning from Cozumel ti Galveston, TX.
A witness saw the 42-year-old man fall from a balcony on the Carnival Conquest. The ship delayed returning to Galveston from Cozumel as it searched for the passenger Saturday night. Rescue teams searched all day Sunday using a Coast Guard cutter and helicopters.
“We still have helicopters launching and taking off and keeping their eyes open and every vigilant,” said passenger Cory Decuire. “So, if there is a chance he’s out there and we can find him, we can do that.” (ABC)